Monday, November 16, 2009

The Smile in Her Eyes

I have to say how humbled I feel that the Lord would see fit to keep my Mom with us. Sometimes when I would hope and pray for that I would see that is was because of selfishness. I just couldn't imagine that many years without my Mom. A mother is so much to a daughter, so much that can't ever be replaced. I know without question that if we are prepared with a strong foundation and understanding of his plan that the Lord blesses us, strengthens us and helps us rise to the occasion. I knew that whatever the Lord's plan was and is for my mom that he will help us. I thank all of you again for your prayers. They have been answered in many ways that we understand now and I'm sure in things to come.

The improvements that have taken place over the past week have been many. Our family...well we like to think that we are all pretty hilarious. We liked to make Mom laugh and to see that smile and the light in her eyes come back has been a tremendous healing for all. It's a comfort that penetrates deeply. It has made everything that we've been through worth it. She has much to overcome but I find that she still has her sense of humor, something we appreciate even more. I loved today when talking to her doctors about her physical therapy and about her needing to gain her strength I look to her to see that she has lifted both her arms in an effort to say "Check it out...I am strong, now get me outta here". Lifting her arms is huge, something she couldn't do just days ago. She is starting to realize and become upset by the time that she has been in the hospital and feeling the loss of time and the events that she has missed out on. Just a blink of time in the grand scheme of life I try to comfort her.

With her healing and improvements it's time now for therapy and rehabilitation. She will most likely be moving to a transitional care facility this week. It comes highly recommended and has an incredible success rate especially when it comes to getting the trach out. Incredible success is exactly what we are after. The one downer to this facility is that it is located in Utah County. A little far to bug her a time or two a day but we'll find a way. I'm sure we will be getting to the point of her desiring visitors and a strong support system. After she is settled I'd be happy to pass along info in how you can see her. No children are allowed at any time and you'll have to brush up on your lip reading skills. I'm really trying.

3 comments:

  1. I am SO glad good news has come your Families way. I know myself and my Mom would LOVE to visit your Mom, Great job Diane.. Please let me know. shaliseveener@hotmail.com
    we would LOVE to make our way to see her. Thanks for keeping us posted. I take it her white count is now better and her lungs as well. Such great accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lip reading is a mystery to me. But smiles seem to transcend words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. christy, i'm so glad to hear she's doing well! she's one tough lady. keep fighting, diane!

    ReplyDelete