Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mom and skinny jeans

Boy I sure do love and respect my mom. That is one thing in my life that I have no regrets about and that is I've always been one to tell mom all the greatness I think she is. She is a strong woman both on the inside and the out. MS has definitely taken a toll on her body and what she once was, but she is strong although she'd be the first to tell you otherwise.

I couldn't be happier to see some recognition in her eyes. That has been my biggest concern, not knowing if she would ever come back to us. Right before all of this happened she lost a whopping 40 pounds and now when I see her I hardly recognize her little body as I can see an additional loss. Today during some of my time in her room they had her "dangling" which means they are holding her sitting up at the edge of her bed. 20 minutes of dangling is like running a marathon. She was exhausted. I took one look at her legs and was amazed. Nancy and I looked at one another and immediately thought.....skinny jeans. She has been on a low calorie diet with her feeding tube. Respiratory doctors are unclear in all of their research whether it is more beneficial to feed someone with this type of condition (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) a low calorie diet (500 calories) or a regular calorie diet. Digestion is the last thing your body does in this type of predicament and our worry was for her to be sick and uncomfortable with food and waste that she couldn't process. Today they are going to reavaluate her nutrition so that is good. They are also hoping her condition can improve to the point of taking the breathing tube out. She is very weak and I pray for her physical strength. I pray that her MS won't make this recovery harder than it already is or that it will worsen her quality of life. We continue to pray for everything we will face on the long road ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Clarks,
    As we prayed this morning as a family for your mother I was filled with gratitude for knowing such a sweet woman. I hope the Lord doesn't take her just because she's really too good to live in this wicked world, cause the rest of us NEED her.
    Thanks for the update on her condition; we appreciate knowing what's going on.
    Love,
    The Sullivans
    PS: GO COUGARS! I hope someone is keeping her up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad to hear of the continued progress for Diane. I have been thinking of Diane a lot lately as I work on a scrapbook of Allie for Peter (the son) for Christmas. I know that Diane and Allie were close. Pete is bringing me some pictures today to scan and use. I am asking those who knew her to write a memory of Allie. If your family has a chance, maybe you could email me some of yours. A am sure Diane is not up to talking, but maybe the rest of you can think of things that you recall about Allie.

    Tell Diane that we love her and are glad to hear she is progressing well. I look forward to being able to visit when she is ready.

    Barbara Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane- It is good to hear you are doing better! I know the road back seem long- but you're up to it! You are strong and you have friends and family to support you. We continue to remember you in our prayers and I keep your name on the Draper Temple prayer roll. Keep your chin up. Love you!

    ReplyDelete