Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cough....and make it count!

My visit with mom started today around 11 am. She was doing her physical therapy at the edge of her bed when I arrived. She was alert (alert as she ever has been through this) and looked my way when I came in. I looked her in the eyes and told her I was there and how great she looked. The physical therapist was good, I hadn't met him before although he worked with her a week ago. He commented on her progress. I was proud. She was able to make an ever so slight move of her leg on command. Something we thought a week ago was the impossible. She sat there for a brief time without his constant support, it was like Christmas had come early.

The next bit of news came from respiratory. They were going to be removing the breathing tube. It is a scary venture but one we have been anticipating for weeks. Her breathing is great, the concern at this point is for her to cough and be able to keep the secretions in her respiratory tract from going in to her lungs. Vicki Linton who has been my absolute greatest support in an effort to keep me sane, my family fed and anything else you can imagine was there with me during this. After the tube came out we went back in to her room. She and I talked with mom about coughing. How many wonderful people in this world would take time out of their busy day to be there with me to talk about coughing to mom, mimic the sound of coughing, and to give her overall motivation to cough? People like her are very few and far between. My kids have found a special place in their hearts for her. Carson who is only 2 thinks she's great. He sees her pull up and her wants to run out the door screaming Vicki! Vicki!

Aunt Nancy is also special to us and to Mom. I can take my boys to her and know that she will love them and take care of them just the same as I would. She even hosted an impromptu tea party as Jackson was especially missing his Granny today. He told me that he loves Granny so much because she is so nice to him. Thanks Nancy for filling in the gap for Granny, you are the next best thing. Nancy has spent countless hours with us at the hospital and was able to visit her tonight. When I left she was pretty tired and was resting. At the point that Nancy went back Mom was trying to talk and I have to laugh because the first thing that Nancy could decipher was her saying that she needed a Mountain Dew. Hilarious... I told Nancy she must have a headache. That was always the second half of pain management when a headache came on. I think she is trying to piece together and try to understand what is happening. She asked Nancy when she was getting out of here....sounds like her too. For now she lives in the moment. She doesn't remember much of anything, even if it happened only hours before....but it's her and how wonderful it is to have her.

3 comments:

  1. Diane, keep up the good work! I look forward to the daily updates on your progress. You are a champ!

    Barbara Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing, amazing, amzing. Talk about set free....the tube is out. Prayers of gratitude on the top of my list today. Diane - way to go girlfriend, keep on coughing - (you would not ever think that would be a cheerleader's shout).
    love ya,
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christie, just wanted you all do know I check the blog every day and have all of you in my prayers. I want you to know that you have been so strong throughout this trial, even if it doesn't feel like it. Please let Auntie Di know that I love her, and I'm grateful for her example in my life. Wish her the best and quickest recovery so she can come visit me in Memphis :) Love you all -Benny

    ReplyDelete