Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Her Trach and the Sound of Music

Today is a happy day, the day before Thanksgiving. A hurdle has been jumped and what a woman to do it. Mom was able to have her trach removed today. A big step and we are proud of her and all that she has done in her recovery to make it possible. No Thanksgiving dinner for her, ice chips at best. The latest trick that Nancy and I have figured is "Mountain Dew Ice Chips". Frozen Mountain Dew made in to slush...her life blood as she refers to it. Hey at least it's something that she loves that we can "dew" for her. We are hoping to be eating next week sometime.

All of you that know my mom knows that she is a character and I'll tell you that now is not an exception. I swear she is funnier now more than ever. Maybe it's that I appreciate it now more than ever. She told me while laying in her bed in her hospital gown that she felt like she was in the Sound of Music and was wearing her curtains. She wanted new curtains and some ribbons and bows. Too good. We made sure that the staff dresses her so she is comfortable....no ribbons, no bows and no curtains, the curtains clashed with her socks. Everytime her nurse comes in to adjust her feeding tube she says, "Now this is vanilla pudding right? I want it with carmel sauce". She can't stop talking about Pie, Lemon Meringue to be exact and Pistachio Icecream. She is dying for someone to take her on a date for a banana split. Her nurse refuses to oblige. She could smell toast down the hall and it just about put her over the edge. She would have taken drastic measures on a visitor in physical therapy if she could have. This girl sat there eating in front of everyone and I felt quite inspired to take her out for the torture she was putting my mom through. Some people have no clue, or choose not to take one. She tells the staff that she is just so happy to be enrolled in her class course of ICE CHIPS 101 and how thrilled she is that she gets to take 25+ days to learn how to swallow. She is motivated though and that's half the battle. She stood today at the bars for a few seconds and it was celebration.

Mom and I have had some wonderful time together the past few days. Time that isn't always possible in the hustle and bustle of busy lives. Time I would never trade. Time that I thought I would never have. I am so grateful. We talked a lot today about what has taken place to get her where she is today. She told one of the aides that she thought she has been in ICU for 3 days. She looked at me and I told her actually it had been four and a half weeks. She looked surprised. Who wouldn't be after no recollection of having your life fast forwarded and trying to get a grasp on why and how to rewind and replay some of the life she feels has skipped her by. She remembers practically nothing. All the better I suppose, much of it I'd like to forget....the pain at least felt unbearable. We have a new tape set to record and it's going to be an even better chapter in all of our lives. One that we can't take for granted. We have been given a second chance and much good is to come from all of this. Life is worth living. It's actually worth being celebrated. We will celebrate as a family.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Mountain Dew idea- Diane your a crack up, I cannot believe she felt like she was only there for 3 days- that's good to know I suppose. I am SO glad Diane is doing well, we check the blog more then just a few times a day- our heart goes out to you all and what a gift to be given another chance. Diane is a remarkable lady: keep going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that you all have so much to be grateful for. this Thanksgiving. :) You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete